The Hardship Alliance, a group of four local charities ( Citizens Advice Wokingham, First Days Children’s Charity, AgeUK Berkshire, and Wokingham United Charities) and Wokingham Borough Council, is pleased to announce that the second phase of the Household Support Fund is now live in Wokingham Borough. This is to support households that are struggling with the cost of living crisis – particularly those with children and pensioners.
- Families with children who are eligible for benefits-related free school meals can apply for a one-off £90 voucher (equating to £15 per week) for each child to cover the summer holidays. Please contact One Front Door or First Days Children’s Charity to apply. This replaces previous voucher schemes administered by schools and is for children living in the borough, irrespective of where they go to school.
- Older people of state pension age can apply for a one-off food, fuel, or cash voucher through AgeUK Berkshire or One Front Door.
- Anyone else who is struggling to pay for food, energy bills and other household essentials is encouraged to come forward for help by contacting One Front Door.
One Front Door is a service led by Citizens Advice Wokingham, in partnership with local charities and the council. To apply for any of the support above, fill in the form on the website, email email@example.com, or phone 0808 278 7958, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. The team can also check applicants are getting all the other support they’re entitled to.
Alternatively, you can contact First Days on 0118 921 9338 or firstname.lastname@example.org for support with free school meal vouchers during the summer holidays, or AgeUK Berkshire on 0118 959 4242 or email@example.com if you are of state pension age.
Wokingham Borough Council is reminding residents of the support available if they need it:
- If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, you may be eligible to a Council Tax discount or exemption
- If you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and it doesn’t cover all your rent, you may be able to get a Discretionary Housing Payment to help
- If you are a local business and need help with business rates, or are struggling to pay, you may be eligible for a reduction and further support
- If you receive certain benefits your child may be eligible for free school meals
For more information about support you may be able to access, please visit the council’s online Local Support Hub.